Now you’ve got your big dreams written down, you need to set clear goals to make them happen – specific, measurable goals.
Read back over your dreams now.
Maybe you’re thinking that they’re not possible – well maybe they aren’t possible today, but you can set yourself goals to get yourself closer to, & even achieve your dreams. It’s possible.
Get your journal (a notebook or some paper) & a pen, & let’s get started hey, lovely?
Firstly, before we get into setting the big, juicy goals. I want you to think about & write down answers to the following questions. I wrote down each question at the top of a blank page & wrote my answers underneath (the examples are some of my answers).
- What do I want to do everyday? (e.g. meditate, journal, spend time outdoors, get 8 hours sleep)
- What do I want to do every week? (e.g. yoga class, spend time with friends, try a new recipe)
- What do I want to do every month? (e.g. read a novel, visit a new place, have a massage)
- What do I want to do one day? (e.g. an art class, go horse riding, see the Northern Lights – this is your bucket list of things you want to do so it should be a long list!)
Being clear about all the little things you want to do is really helpful when you come to set your goals, & will help you to use your time wisely & effectively, to achieve all the things that are important to you.
Now, let’s set some goals!
Write ‘What do I want to achieve in the next 3 months?’ at the top of a blank page.
For each of the following categories, write at least 3 (up to 6) specific, measurable goals. If any of these categories don’t resonate with you, leave them out or change them to something more relevant for you. For example, Blog & Biz might become Career.
If you have some goals that don't fit under one of these categories, add an appropriate category or create an 'Other Goals' category. For my 3 month goals list, I have created a 'Giving Goals' category, as I have a few goals around volunteering, acts of kindness & charitable giving that are important to me. Make the categories work for you. They are your goals.
- Health & Wellbeing
- Blog & Biz
- Fun & Creative
- Dreamy (for those almost-seems-impossible-but-I’m-going-to-put-it-out-there-anyway goals)
Now repeat this exercise for:
- What do I want to achieve in the next 6 months?
- What do I want to achieve in the next 12 months?
Remember to look back over your values & dreams, & make sure that your goals are in alignment with them.
If any of your dreams are way too big & dreamy, to even go under the ‘Dreamy’ category for the next 12 months, or if you have any specific goals that are for in 2 years or 5 years, then start a goal list for these. Make sure they are still specific, measurable goals though, even if they are really dreamy.
Read back over your goals & check that they are specific & measurable. I know in the past I have made a lot of wishy-washy goals. Get specific, & give yourself something to action & achieve in an allocated time frame.
Now, read back over your ‘What do I want to do one day?’ list – is there anything on there that you could be a goal for the next 3, 6 or 12 months, that you haven’t already included? If so, add it in.
Finally, slowly read through your goals one at a time, allowing each one to sink in & observe how it makes you feel. Does it feel right in your gut? Even if your goal is pushing your comfort zone & bringing up fear or anxiety, it should still right, deep down in your gut. If a goal doesn't feel right - if your intuition is sending you the subtle message that it's just not right - then remove the goal. Don't just have a goal because you think you should - go with goals that feel right in your heart & in your gut.
I also have the following lists & if like me, you have things to add to these lists, & it helps you to write them down, you can.
- Things I want to do in the next 3 months (things that aren’t goals but I would like to do – e.g. have lunch at Earth to Table & have a spa day)
- Things I want to buy in the next 3 months (mason jars, Sacred Self self-love cards & a perfect fitting pair of jeans)
- Things I want to buy in the next 6 months (a new iPhone & a keyboard for my iPad)
- Things I want to buy in the next 12 months (a new car (also a goal), a pair of manolo’s - when I go to New York (another goal!))
- Books I want to read in the next 3 months
- Books I want to read in 2014
Have you realized that I like lists & writing things down? :) By writing all of these lists & setting myself clear goals, it reduces the amount of chaos in my crazy monkey mind, thus reducing my anxiety, & helps me to get organized, prioritize & take steps towards my dreams.
That’s what I’m going to guide you through on Monday, Creating a Colourful Life: Taking Action, which will include action plans & scheduling. Are you ready to take action, beautiful?
Let’s support each other - share one of your goals for the next 3 months in the comments below or email me – firstname.lastname@example.org. Also, let me know if you have any questions.
I’ll go first…
One of my 'Fun Goals' for the next 3 months is to learn to ride a bike! I have written to Santa & asked him for a beach cruiser for Christmas :)
Love & hugs,